Monday, October 24, 2011

Dont believe everything you read

I taught male and female gametogenesis of flowering plants today. The topic is a not difficult to understand although students do struggle with the number of steps involved and with the idea edible fruits are plant embryos, endosperm, and ovaries. some students were ready to swear off popcorn after they say the endosperm and embryo under the microscope. I was kind of funny. I digress to when i was teaching them about the embryo sac. I had mentioned the class before and the students were going through their notes to recall what i had said when one student points out that i had taught them something wrong. I asked what that was and the student pointed to the book to an image of an ovule showing the 7 megasporangia inside. The two polar nuclei were surrounded by a cell membrane labelled as the embryo sac. I had taught that the embryo sac contained all megaspores not just the polar nuclei. My feet started sweating a little when another student pointed out that another image in the same textbook indicated that the embryo sac did in fact include all megaspores not just the polar nuclei. I was relieved but aggravated that this mistake had found its way into the text book. No matter, I needed to know which one was correct. I was certain that the way i had taught them was correct but i needed a second opinion. I briefly stepped out of class and found an expert. It turns out I had been teaching the correct definition of the embryo sac. This lesson applies to all books, articles and blogs. Dont believe everything just because it is written somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment