Tuesday, August 30, 2011

3rd

I had an interesting epiphany today. It happened after teaching my intro to botany course this morning. I had been a TA for intro to botany for 4 semesters, so when i was asked to be an instructor for my own intro to botany course i felt confident that i would do well. As usual, things are never the way the seem at first. I have had my ups and downs, beating myself up about my teaching style and basking in the glory of a successful lesson. I am always trying to improve the way i teach and maybe more importantly the way i prepare to teach. 
This semester I am fortunate to have two veteran colleges teaching other sections of the same course right before i teach my own section. For certain subjects, I found it helpful to sit in and listen to how they run their class and go about teaching the information. Being a bit green, I try to take what i can and apply it to my own style. I have had mixed results doing this. It seems that the students understand how i am trying to teach them and they notice when i am using the teaching style of another rather than my own. for the sake of the homework i will continue in another post.....

No comments:

Post a Comment